Constructor: Helsingin Energia, (HelenUlkovalaistus)
Contractor: Eltel Networks Oy
Manufacturer: Lumilab Oy
The park surrounding the oldest church in central Helsinki is also known as “Plague Park”, as plague victims were buried in the grounds back in the 1700’s. Despite its gloomy history, the park today is a pleasant and well-tended place for a moment of rest in the hustle and bustle of the city. When designing the lighting, the aim was to retain the look of the lights and poles in the park. However, the old light poles had to be renovated and, thanks to LED technology, the poles could be updated to meet modern standards. This also made it possible to implement lighting that both saves energy and retains the original character of the park. The park is indeed a fine example of successfully introducing modern technology to historical sites.
Photographer: Juhana Konttinen