Designer: Erkki Rousku, Cadvance
Electrical: E-Plan Oy
Contractor: Sähköarina Oy
The Erottaja Fire Station is the oldest fire station still in use in Helsinki. The renaissance-inspired fire station building was built in 1891 and the façade echoes old barracks and medieval castles. The tower of the fire station reaches 42 metres and, with the red brick façade, provides a fine setting for the Fire Museum housed in the same building. The lighting focuses on the tower, understatedly emphasising its dominant presence in the city landscape. The rest of the building has been subtly lit avoiding any obtrusive light.
Photographer: Juhana Konttinen